Monday, December 17, 2007

Stew For Two

According to the calendar, it's not quite yet Winter; however we just had a snowstorm yesterday, and I was looking for something comforting, yet healthy. I came across this recipe from Elly Says Opa!, and had most of the ingredients on hand. It's my first time making stew, but it was so easy & really hit the spot on a very cold, almost Winter's night. Be sure to serve with biscuits to get all the sauce!

Chicken Stew
Serves 2

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into 1" pieces
1/2 onion, diced
1 carrot, sliced (I used 2 carrots)
1 celery stalk, sliced (I omitted)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3 cloves)
1/3 cup dry white wine
1 1/4 cups chicken broth (I used 1 32 oz carton of fat free, low sodium chicken broth)
4 oz. white or cremini mushrooms (I omitted)
1/2 lb. baby redskin potatoes, halved (skin-on) (I used 1/2 lb Idaho potatoes cut in eighths)
1/2 tsp. dried thyme (I used 1 tsp)
I added 1 tsp dried parsley
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper
1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
I added 1/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
corn starch slurry (optional)

In a smallish stockpot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Add the chicken pieces, just to brown, and then remove them. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Stir in the carrots, celery and garlic until the garlic is just fragrant, about a minute.

Pour the wine into the pot to deglaze, being sure to get the browned chicken bits off the bottom of the pot. Reduce the wine slightly over medium high heat.

Add the chicken broth, bay leaf, thyme, potatoes, chicken, mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer until potatoes are fork tender and chicken is cooked through. I added the peas and corn while simmering for 10 minutes)

If you want, add a corn starch slurry at this point and boil about a minute uncovered. (I used the cornstarch and boiled for a couple of minutes to thicken)

1 comment:

Elly said...

looks great! glad it hit the spot :)