Monday, April 7, 2008

Who Lived Under The Pineapple Under The Sea?

A salmon! I couldn't help it, while thinking of something to do with pineapple, I couldn't get the Spongebob Squarepants song out of my head ;)

Soooo... while looking to make use of my fresh veggies, plus making my husband happy (he's not a fan of veggies), I made Pineapple Teriyaki Salmon from Cooking Light. As you may already know, I don't eat fish, but he gave it the thumbs up. I changed up the recipe a bit to suit his tastes, I'll definitely be making this one again, and I'm sure that the sauce would be great on chicken as well. I served this with brown rice and stir fried veggies.



Pineapple Teriyiaki Salmon

2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
2 teaspoons canola oil
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Grated orange rind (optional)

Combine first 4 ingredients and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small saucepan over high heat, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 15 minutes). Set aside.

Preheat oven to 400°.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle both sides of salmon with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Add fish to pan; cook 3 minutes. Turn fish over and place in oven; bake at 400° for 3 minutes. Remove from oven; brush 1 tablespoon sauce over each fillet. Return to oven, and cook 1 minute or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. (I baked the salmon about 2 1/2 minutes longer, meanwhile I brought the remaining sauce to a boil and stirred some cornstarch slurry and simmered till thickened, then brushed on top of the salmon and baked for 30 more seconds, creating a glaze) Sprinkle with orange rind, if desired.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 salmon fillet)CALORIES 339 (41% from fat); FAT 15.4g (sat 3.3g,mono 7g,poly 3.9g); PROTEIN 36.8g; CHOLESTEROL 87mg; CALCIUM 34mg; SODIUM 644mg; FIBER 0.2g; IRON 1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 11.2g Cooking Light, MAY 2006

Stir Fried Veggies with Pineapple

These amounts were approximate, I tend to improvise when doing stir fries.

Veggies:

1 cup baby carrots, sliced in half
1 cup sugar snap peas
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 cup broccoli florets
4 oz pineapple chunks, sliced in half (I used canned)
orange zest

Stir fry till tender crisp in a teaspoon of vegetable oil, I add the carrots first, cook for 2 minutes, then add the rest and stir fry for 3 minutes.

Sauce:
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp pineapple juice
1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
cornstarch slurry (cornstarch plus water)

Mix all ingredients and set aside till veggies are almost done. Add mixture to veggies and bring to a boil, add slurry and let boil till thickened. Sprinkle with orange zest.

2 comments:

Saikat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.