Friday, April 24, 2009

PB & J - Not Just For Sandwiches!

Peanut butter & jelly - one of my favorite sandwiches and flavor combinations. When I saw this recipe for peanut butter and jelly shortbread wedges, I knew I just had to try it. I've never made shortbread before...so it came out a little darker on the edges than I would have liked, I should have taken it out of the oven a few minutes sooner. But overall, it tasted wonderful - and it would be a crime to serve this without a big glass of milk.




Peanut Butter and Jelly Shortbread Wedges
Seen on Cooking This And That; originally adapted from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
Makes 8 wedges (or more)

nonstick baking spray
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
large pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup jelly (any flavor you want) I used grape jelly, but I look forward to making this again with a different flavor

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat bottom of 9-inch-diameter springform pan with nonstick spray.

Beat butter and peanut butter in large bowl until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and salt and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Add flour; beat on low speed just until blended.

Reserve 1/3 cup dough. Press remaining dough evenly over bottom of prepared pan. Spread jam over dough in pan, leaving 1/3-inch plain border. Crumble reserved dough over the jam layer.

Bake shortbread until dough edge is deep golden and dough on top looks dry and baked through, about 40-50 minutes. (I baked mine for about 46 minutes...my edges got a little dark, I should have taken it out at about the 43 minute mark)

Cool shortbread completely in pan. Release pan sides. Cut shortbread into wedges and store in an airtight container at room temperature.

4 comments:

Colleen said...

Mmm, wasn't this delicious? And I agree with you about the big glass of milk!!

Melissa said...

What a great idea! I love pb&j. The crumbly part on top looks especially good.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Mmm - a classic flavor combo that's great in all sorts of ways!

Daniel said...

Wild! What a great way to make something really creative out of regular old ingredients. This is the reason I love reading food blogs--you never know where the next really creative idea will come from. Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Casual Kitchen