Monday, October 1, 2007

Chinese takeout - at home!

I love Chinese food, but can't usually eat at restaurants because of the MSG. I've discovered this recipe on the Nest's What's Cooking message board, as well as from Amber's Blog. It always turns out great! I always make a little extra sauce, since that's the way Jamie likes it. I switch up the veggies that I serve with it, broccoli also goes well with this dish. I served it with Organic Brown Rice from Trader Joe's - makes prep time quick & easy. Changes I made are in italics.


Sesame Chicken with Snow Peas, Carrots & Brown Rice

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. toasted sesame seeds, divided
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. Chinese five-spice powder
1.5 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 package chicken breast strips, cut into chunks
8 tbsp. teriyaki sauce
6 tbsp. honey
oil for frying
sliced baby carrots & snow peas

In a large Ziploc bag, combine flour, 1/4 c. sesame seeds, black pepper, red pepper and Chinese spice. Place chicken in bag and shake to coat.

Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Place chicken into skillet and brown on both sides, about 5 minutes per side.
Remove chicken from skillet and empty excess oil from pan. Reduce heat to low and return chicken to skillet.

Mix in teriyaki sauce, honey and 1/4 c. sesame seeds, and stir until sauce thickens. I stir fried snow peas & carrots for 5 minutes and then added to chicken mixture. Serve over brown rice.



No comments: