Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Soup's On

One of my favorite sites for recipes is Cooking Light Cooking Light. I'm trying to cook healthier, and I love this recipe. I made some changes that I think make it even better, both healthier & tastier, and are indicated in italics. I also served this with a greek salad.


Tomato-and-White Bean Soup

2 tsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onions (3/4 cup chopped onions)
3 garlic cloves, crushed
2 (14.5 oz) cans of no-salt added whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsley chopped
2 (16 oz) cannellini beans (1 can of beans)
1 (14.5 oz) can fat-free chicken broth (32 oz ff chicken broth)
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
3/4 tsp dried oregano (1 tbsp chopped fresh oregano)
1/4 tsp pepper (1/4 tsp salt also)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
I added 1/4 cup ditalini (soup noodles) and 1/2 package of frozen/thawed spinach

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 4 minutes or till tender.

Add tomatoes and next 5 ingredients (tomatoes through pepper) and bring to a boil. Add spinach and noodles, if desired.

Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with cheese.



No comments: