Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year, New Healthy Recipe

It's a fact - the most popular New Year's resolution is a combination of losing weight/eating right/exercising. I've already been trying to cook well, so the trend is continuing, and I've decided to have one vegetarian meal per week. So when I came across this recipe from a fellow Nestie's blog, The Way The Cookie Crumbles, that also included my long time favorites garlic, tomatoes & cannellini beans, I just had to try it out. I made a few alterations, and it turned out great. Simple, healthy & delicious!


Braised White Beans with Tomatoes, Zucchini, and Garlic
(adapted from Vegetarian Classics, by Jeanne Lemlin)Serves 2 (plus leftovers)
I’ve taken to drizzling a bit of extra-virgin olive oil over everything right before serving.

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced (I used 5 cloves)
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
1 (14-ounce) can ready-cut diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted tomatoes and I added 2 fresh roma tomatoes, diced)
¼ cup water (I also added 1/4 cup chicken broth)
1 medium boiling potato (red or Yukon gold), cut into ¼-inch dice (I used 6 baby red potatoes)
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced into ¼-inch slices (the size I buy depends on how healthy I want to be) (I used 1/2 large sized zucchini)
1 (14-ounce) cans small white beans, such as Great Northern or navy, rinsed well in a strainer
¼ teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (I used 1/4 tsp fresh and 1/2 tsp fried Italian seasoning)
¼ teaspoon salt (I added 1/4 tsp freshly ground mixed (red, white, black) pepper)

Heat the oil, garlic, and red pepper in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook for about 30 seconds after the garlic begins to sizzle. (It should not become at all colored). Stir in the tomatoes, water, and potatoes, and cover the pan. Cook at a lively simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost cooked through.

Mix in the zucchini, beans, rosemary, and salt. Cover the pan again and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes more, or until the zucchini and potatoes are tender. At this point check the consistency of the sauce; it should be thick and soupy, not dry or watery. Add a bit of water if the mixture doesn’t have much sauce; cook it uncovered if the juices seem watery. Serve in large pasta bowls, preferably, or on plates.

5 comments:

Bridget said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked it!

Elly said...

yum, this looks great!

Sweet and Savory Eats said...

This looks so hearty and healthy!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good! Definitely my type of meal. I'm putting on my menu for next week!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.