Thursday, January 29, 2009

Fake Out Take Out Vegetable Fried Rice

I love making Chinese at home, but sometimes I get sick of plain white or brown rice. So the last time I made steamed vegetables, Sweet and Sour Chicken (which I have made a few times now and LOVE), I made a veggie stir fried rice as the side. It was delicious, I could eat that just by itself...and I actually had to since Jamie devoured the Sweet and Sour Chicken! I can't wait to experiment by adding stir fried chicken or shrimp, different veggies and maybe some pineapple or ginger.


Very Veggie Fried Rice

1 cup cooked cold rice (I find day old is best)
2 eggs, beaten
2-3 tsp vegetable oil, divided
1/2 -3/4 cup cup frozen peas, thawed
3 green onions, sliced
1/2 - 3/4 cup carrot, finely diced
1/2 cup mushroom, diced
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil, divided
2 tsp oyster sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

Mix the 1/2 tsp sesame oil, oyster and soy sauces in a bowl and set aside. Heat vegetable oil in a skillet (about 1 tbsp) over med-high heat. Add carrots, mushroom and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Remove from skillet.

Add another tbsp of vegetable oil to the skillet and heat. Add rice to skillet and stir making sure there are no clumps. Push the rice towards the sides so there is an open space in the middle of the skillet and add the egg. Let it set slightly before breaking up with a spoon into smaller pieces.

When egg is cooked through, add green onions, carrots and garlic, peas, salt and pepper to taste and soy mixture. Stir fry for 2-4 minutes or until heated through. Drizzle with remaining sesame oil.

4 comments:

Damian said...

Melis,

it's Damian

I was wondering if you had any ideas on how to put together a good mashed cauliflower ?

and by the way your Pittsburgh perogies look amazing
I'm lacking the essential equipment right now.. but they're on my to make list

Linds said...

Looks great! I have to try making my own fried rice at home...I am always nervous that it won't compare to take-out!

Karen said...

What a good idea - I've never tried this at home. It looks very good!

Melissa said...

Damian - I actally haven't made cauliflower that way...but I like food network, all recipes and cooking light.com's to get ingredients from. Good luck!