Thursday, August 7, 2008

Don't Cha Want An Enchilada?

I love Mexican food, but not the really greasy kind that you feel really bad about eating afterwards. (well, I guess once in a while it's ok...) But while browsing for enchilada recipes, I came across this one on Annie's blog. It looked delicious and a bit different than the other ones I have seen. It was great, served with some tortilla chips and some salsa on the side - can't wait for the leftovers today!



Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
from Annie's Eats

I cut the recipe in half to make about 5 enchiladas

Ingredients:
4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts I slowly simmered 3 chicken breasts in chicken stock, flavored with some onion powder, smashed garlic cloves and whole peppercorns for about 30 minutes
8 oz. reduced fat sour cream
8 oz. Ranch salad dressing
flour tortillas (10-15) - we like Azteca, packs of 10
jar of salsa I made my own, I used a 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes, a few sprigs of fresh, roughly chopped cilantro, 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, 2 cloves minced garlic, salt and pepper to taste, 1/4 cup diced onion, 2 tbsp diced canned jalapeno peppers
shredded Mexican cheese (I usually use close to 4 cups, I love cheese!)

Directions:
Cook chicken breasts by preferred cooking method until cooked through. Set aside to cool a bit.

While chicken is cooling, mix up the sauce. In a large mixing bowl, combine half of the sour cream and half of the Ranch dressing. In a small bowl, combine the rest of the sour cream and Ranch dressing. Stir both until well combined. Shred or chop the cooked chicken and add to the large mixing bowl. Mix well with sauce.

Preheat the oven to 375°. Grease a 9 x 13″ pan (and possibly another, smaller pan if needed). Take one tortilla and top with a little less than 1 tbsp. of the sauce from the small bowl. Spread over the tortilla in an even layer. Add some of the chicken mixture to the center of the tortilla.

Top with salsa to taste. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, to taste. Roll up tortilla and place, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients (usually makes 10-15 enchiladas).

Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (30 for a crispier tortilla). Allow to cool a few minutes before serving. I covered the pan with foil, removed the foil with 5 minutes left, and topped with a little more cheese.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This looks great and is also on my list of recipes to try!

Annie said...

Yay! I am so glad you enjoyed them. I'm making them again next week.