Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Where's The Beef?

When I told Jamie we were having burgers for dinner, he assumed it would be our usual - beef. When I mentioned it would be turkey burgers, he was quite skeptical - I have never made them, and only recently did I use ground turkey for the first time. We had some pre-packaged turkey burgers once, and hated the taste and texture. But I thought I'd give it a whirl, along with trying a new side with burgers instead of potatoes.

We LOVED the burgers - I just threw some ingredients that I had on hand and that I thought would work well together, as well as with a fellow Nestie's recipe for Corn & Black Bean Salad. It was a wonderful, refreshing dinner for an almost 100 degree day.


Southwest Gobble-Gobble Burgers

ground turkey (I used just over half of a 1 lb package, reserved the rest for taco salad, browned and used the same seasonings)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, plus two slices for topping (if using)
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup finely sliced green onions
1/2 tsp cumin
3 tbsp freshly chopped cilantro
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning
2 tsp lime juice
1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
sliced tomato
sliced red onion

The burgers were so moist and had so much flavor, I didn't want to overpower them with too many condiments. But I did mix a 1/4 cup of light mayo, 1/4 tsp of Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle seasoning and 1 tbsp of thinly sliced green onion, and spread it on the bun. Or a lower fat option is some fat-free ranch dressing, salsa or sour cream and salsa.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form into two equal sized patties, pressing down slightly in the center. Grill on medium high heat for about 5-6 minutes per side. Just before removing, melt some Monterrey cheddar on top & toast the buns, and add toppings.

Corn and Black Bean Salad with Lime Cilantro Vinaigrette
Good Things Catered

(I halved the recipe)
Ingredients:
1 c. steamed or grilled sweet corn (I grilled it, I think it ads great flavor)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large green pepper, diced
1 large red pepper, diced
1/2 large red onion, diced
1 small jalapeno, minced seeds discarded if you don't want to kill your mouth) (I used a couple of teaspoons from a can)
1 medium heirloom tomato, diced
1/4 c. olive oil
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
juice of 2 limes
1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
lime zest from 1/2 lime
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp chili powder

Directions:
-In large bowl combine corn, black beans, peppers, onion, jalapeno, and tomato

-In heavy bottomed bowl, combine cilantro, vinegar, limes, garlic, zest, and spices.

-With large whisk, whisk quickly as you slowly drizzle in olive oil to emulsify.

-Add dressing to salad, toss, and serve. (I served with some tortilla chips)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE turkey burgers and I love how colorful the dish is! Great presenataion. And the FUNNIEST part was I saw the pic and went to scroll down to comment on how pretty the salad was...and then saw it was mine. Yours looks MUCH better! :)

Kira said...

Yum! That salad looks great. I love corn and black bean salad. It was so hot yesterday!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

That looks so yummy! I have been hesitant to try turkey burgers, but after seeing how good yours turned out, I will definitely give them a try! The salad looks beautiful and delicious too!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

We love turkey burgers especially since my husband can't eat beef. Cute name too! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I made these for dinner tonight and they were really, really good! I nice change to get a Mexican flavor without being in a taco. Thanks!