Thursday, August 28, 2008

Summer Lemon Lovin'

I had some chicken, lemons and potatoes to use up, and I love lemon chicken, but sometimes it can get dry. I found this one on I blog that I love, and knew it would be good - and it was!!! I tried something new for me - putting the chicken in a brine first, then baking it - it was so juicy and lemony, and I served it with some steamed broccoli - just perfect.

Roasted Chicken Breast with Lemon, Garlic, Rosemary, and Potatoes
Good Things Catered


4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of excess fat
1 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened but not melted I used Smart Balance 50/50 Blend
Zest of 1/2 large lemon, lemon reserved
2 large cloves of garlic, minced or pressed
2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves I used dried
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
3 russet potatoes, washed thoroughly and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
Kosher salt ground pepper


-Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line large baking pan with foil for easy cleanup.

-Pat chicken breasts dry, season liberally with salt and ground pepper, and place breast-side up at least one to two inches apart in pan.

-In small bowl combine butter, lemon zest, garlic, and rosemary and stir with spoon to thoroughly combine.

-With back of spoon, spread butter mixture on top of chicken breasts evenly. I also squeezed some lemon juice on the chicken

-Slice reserved lemon and place slices in pan around the chicken. I put the slices on the chicken as it baked

-In medium bowl place cubed potato and toss with 1 tsp olive oil, parsley and salt and pepper.

-Scatter potatoes around chicken breasts.

-Place baking dish in oven and cook about 30-40 minutes or until thickest portion of chicken breast has reached 175 degrees.

-Remove from oven, take chicken breasts out of pan onto a warm serving platter and tent with foil.

-Take one pinch more of Kosher salt to sprinkle over potatoes, toss and place back in oven for 5-10 minutes.-

Remove potatoes and serve with chicken

Basic Poultry Brine
Good Things Catered


I cut the following amounts in half
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, one small bird, chicken pieces, etc.
1/2 c. table salt


-Dissolve salt in 2 qt. water in a large bowl or dutch oven.

-Immerse chicken into brine and refrigerate for 30 min.

-Remove chicken from brine, rinse, pat dry with paper towels, and season with ground pepper.


Katie said...

YUM! I'm so glad you liked it! Good job using the brine. It makes SUUUUUCH a difference!

Erin said...

Looks great and so, so easy!

Lisa said...

I'm going to the beach for the weekend with a group of girlfriends. This would be a great dinner for us to make while we're there! Thanks for sharing.

Joelen said...

Mmm - great flavors going on with this dish! Looks great and I'm starring it to try!