Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Griddle Me This

Griddle me that....Jamie always makes the Batman/Riddler references whenever I make things with my Cuisinart Griddler. Jokes aside, I absolutely love that appliance - I use it multiple times a week for all kinds of meals. This time, I was experimenting with different panini's. While the following are not exact recipes, they are more so to get an idea for topping combinations that go deliciously well together.

Panini's are such a great dinner, they are so versatile, quick and easy. Just heat your panini maker or grill pan (place a heavy pan on top to get the sandwich pressed), drizzle your bread with some EVOO or spread a little butter, add your toppings, grill and enjoy.



Apple Smoked Cheddar, Turkey and Bacon Panini

Sourdough bread
shredded apple smoked cheddar cheese
spicy ground (honey mustard was great too)
cooked turkey bacon
lower sodium turkey breast lunch meat (I like Boar's Head brand)
thin apple slices
softened butter (to spread on outsides of bread)



Italian Salami & Cheese Panini with Pesto Mayo


Italian bread
sliced provolone cheese
shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian salami (I love Boar's Head Biano D'Oro Dry Salami)
sliced roma tomato
thinly sliced red onion
pesto mayo (I mixed a little basil pesto paste with some low fat mayo)
drizzle of EVOO (on outsides of bread)


Grilled Cheese Panini

sourdough bread
softened butter (to spread on outsides of bread)
shredded colby cheese (I used a good quality Amish cheese)
shredded apple smoked cheddar cheese
shredded sharp cheese (I like Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar)
Sometimes I like to add sliced or tomato or bacon also

Not pictured here, but other panini's that I make regularly are:

Caprese Panini

ciabatta bread
sliced buffalo mozzarella cheese
fresh basil leaves
thinly sliced tomato
drizzle of EVOO and balsamic vinegar
dash of salt and pepper

Turkey Reuben

Swirled Rye bread
lower sodium turkey breast lunch meat (I like Boar's Head brand)
Swiss cheese
sauerkraut
thousand island dressing

1 comment:

Kira said...

Yum! I love apple on sandwiches.