Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Making The Switch

This is only my second time working with whole wheat flour - I don't know why I was so scared before....maybe it's because I've just become decent at baking and working with yeast, I didn't want to jinx it (I've already made Healthy Oatmeal Muffins). I've made the switch to whole wheat when it comes to bread, pasta, tortillas etc., but this was my first whole wheat pizza dough - and it turned out great! The whole wheat flour gave it a slight nutty flavor (like it does to pasta), and it made enough for two large pizzas.

Since it was a meat-free Lenten Friday, I topped my half with julienned sun dried tomatoes, baby bella mushrooms & sliced red onions; while the hubby's half was topped with baby bella mushrooms and fresh pineapple chunks, and used part-skim mozzarella cheese on all.

Fresh Herbed Pizza Sauce

1 cup tomato puree
kosher salt & pepper to taste
dash of sugar
3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 tsp fresh oregano
drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients in a bowl & spread on pizza. I let mine sit in the fridge covered for a couple of hours while pizza dough was being prepared. Allow to come to room temp before using.

Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Allrecipes

INGREDIENTS
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
I added 1/2 tbsp of dried Italian herbs & 1 tsp garlic powder

DIRECTIONS

In a large bowl, dissolve sugar in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.

Stir the olive oil and salt (and herbs and garlic if using) into the yeast mixture, then mix in the whole wheat flour and 1 cup of the all-purpose flour until dough starts to come together. Tip dough out onto a surface floured with the remaining all-purpose flour, and knead until all of the flour has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

When the dough is doubled, tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight ball. Let rise for about 45 minutes, until doubled.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it will not stretch any further. Then, drape it over both of your fists, and gently pull the edges outward, while rotating the crust. When the circle has reached the desired size, place on a well oiled pizza pan. Top pizza with your favorite toppings, such as sauce, cheese, meats, or vegetables.

Bake for 16 to 20 minutes (depending on thickness) in the preheated oven, until the crust is crisp and golden at the edges, and cheese is melted on the top.

* I heated my pizza stone at 500 for about an hour, then reduced the heat to 425 before adding the pizza. I followed some reviews and prebaked the crust for 5 minutes, removed, put on toppings, and baked for another 15 minutes.


3 comments:

Melissa said...

I just made this same recipe last week for the first time, too. It turned out great and I have another crust in the freezer waiting to make our next pizza! I'm ready to try some other recipes using whole wheat flour, now.

Daniel said...

I went through a similar fear with whole wheat flour, and it ended up being an unfounded fear with me too. I agree it adds an interesting dimension to the taste of whatever you're making.

Found you via your comment today on Food Alla Puttanesca, and I'm enjoying reading you!

Dan
Casual Kitchen

gaga said...

I'm still not a fan of whole wheat for the most part, but have found that white whole wheat I can deal with, but it's hard to find. I might give this recipe a try the next time I feel like giving it another try though!