Thursday, March 26, 2009

Going Greek

I originally had a craving for chicken gyros, but as it got closer to dinner, the weather got worse. I didn't feel like going to the grocery store in the rain just for pitas. (yeah I'm a baby!) So, I decided to take some of the same ingredients and make it into a Greek inspired dish. It was so easy, delicious and healthy too. I served it warm allowing the feta and lemon zest to melt into the ingredients. But it is just as good cold the next day - I've ate the leftovers :)

Warm Greek Chicken & Spinach Orzo Salad


1lb chicken breasts
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon zest

Place chicken in a ziploc bag. (My chicken was quite thick, I pounded it till 1/2 inch thickness). Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl, pour into bag and make sure chicken is well coated. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (I wish I had more time, or I would have left it in longer)

Heat grill (I used my Cuisinart Griddler) to medium high. Remove from marinade, shaking off excess, and grill for at least 6 minutes per side, or longer until fully cooked through. Remove, slice, and add to orzo mixture.

Vinaigrette: (this is a close estimate, I tasted it and added a dash of extra ingredients if needed)

1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and refrigerate until ready to use. Let sit for at least an hour.

Orzo Salad:

1 cup orzo
1.5 cups baby spinach
3 tbsp sliced red onions
1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
crumbled feta cheese
EVOO for sauteing

Cook orzo according to directions, drain well and set aside. Toss with a little of the vinaigrette.

Heat a skillet with a little EVOO over medium heat. Add onion and tomatoes, saute for about 4 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and allow to wilted, for about a minute. Add mixture and feta cheese to orzo, and toss with vinaigrette (amount to taste) and top with chicken.
Garnish with lemon zest and parsley is desired.


thecookingnurse said...

This looks great, I love Greek food!

Colleen said...

Oh YUM! I must make this very soon!