Thursday, March 26, 2009

Going Greek

I originally had a craving for chicken gyros, but as it got closer to dinner, the weather got worse. I didn't feel like going to the grocery store in the rain just for pitas. (yeah I'm a baby!) So, I decided to take some of the same ingredients and make it into a Greek inspired dish. It was so easy, delicious and healthy too. I served it warm allowing the feta and lemon zest to melt into the ingredients. But it is just as good cold the next day - I've ate the leftovers :)


Warm Greek Chicken & Spinach Orzo Salad

Chicken:

1lb chicken breasts
1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, smashed
3 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp lemon zest

Place chicken in a ziploc bag. (My chicken was quite thick, I pounded it till 1/2 inch thickness). Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl, pour into bag and make sure chicken is well coated. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours (I wish I had more time, or I would have left it in longer)

Heat grill (I used my Cuisinart Griddler) to medium high. Remove from marinade, shaking off excess, and grill for at least 6 minutes per side, or longer until fully cooked through. Remove, slice, and add to orzo mixture.

Vinaigrette: (this is a close estimate, I tasted it and added a dash of extra ingredients if needed)

1/2 cup EVOO
1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, minced
pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp dijon mustard
2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl, and refrigerate until ready to use. Let sit for at least an hour.

Orzo Salad:

1 cup orzo
1.5 cups baby spinach
3 tbsp sliced red onions
1 1/2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
crumbled feta cheese
EVOO for sauteing

Cook orzo according to directions, drain well and set aside. Toss with a little of the vinaigrette.

Heat a skillet with a little EVOO over medium heat. Add onion and tomatoes, saute for about 4 minutes or until softened. Add spinach and allow to wilted, for about a minute. Add mixture and feta cheese to orzo, and toss with vinaigrette (amount to taste) and top with chicken.
Garnish with lemon zest and parsley is desired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks great, I love Greek food!

Colleen said...

Oh YUM! I must make this very soon!