Thursday, October 9, 2008

Guilt-free Mexican

Jamie and I both love quesadillas, I don't know why I don't make them more often! This was a perfect light meal, and I made it with staples I always have on hand in the freezer, fridge & pantry. When I go to a restaurant for Mexican, or Tex-Mex, it's often so greasy and loaded with cheese, I didn't feel bad about eating this meal.

Also, it was the first time I grilled the quesadillas, which added a different crispiness than cooking it in a skillet. This will definitely be on the menu again. I grilled them on my Cuisinart griddler, so it looks a little darker than it would on an outdoor grill (they weren't burnt, I swear!)




Grilled Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
adapted from Confections of a Foodie Bride (mostly the rub)

Grilled Chicken Quesadillas

1 lb chicken tenders
6 fajita sized tortillas
vegetable oil, for brushing
1 1/2-2 cups 2% Mexican blend shredded cheese
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 tomatoes, diced & seeded
1/2 medium onion, diced

Wet rub (adapted from My Husband Cooks)

1 Tbsp Mexican chili powder
3 tsp dried cilantro fresh would be better, I didn't have any
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ancho chili powder
juice of 1 lime

Heat grill to medium-high. Whisk wet rub ingredients in a glass bowl, add chicken, and turn to coat. Let sit in fridge for 20 minutes. Place chicken on the grill and cook until the juices run clear (about 6-7 minutes per side). Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes.

Cut the chicken breasts into 1/2-3/4 inch cubes. In a skillet, heat a little oil and saute the onions and black beans (I mash them a bit with a fork),tomatoes and chicken till heated through, and softened, about 3-5 minutes.

Lightly brush one side of a tortilla with oil and flip over. Top the tortilla with chicken mixture and cheese and place another tortilla on top half pressing down lightly. Brush the top of the quesadilla with oil and place on the grill. Grill 5 minutes on each side - depending on your grill, I used a Cuisinart Griddler, so it was a little longer than an outdoor grill. Otherwise it may only need 2-3 minutes per side.


Remove from heat and serve with salsa, fat free sour cream or whatever you like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look really, really good! i love all the flavors in there!!