Monday, July 14, 2008

Sometimes Sticky Fingers Are Good!

This is my second time making ribs. Again, I don't eat them, but Jamie gave the sticky thumbs up....keep a bunch of napkins handy...and if you use a lot, I guess that's the sign of good ribs! I pretty much stuck to the recipe, I made small ingredient and execution changes (mostly b/c I was grilling a burger for myself, and it made sense to grill everything at once)

Amazing Ribs
Allrecipes

Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 4 Hours 40 Minutes
Ready In: 5 Hours 10 Minutes Yields: 12 servings

INGREDIENTS:
6 pounds pork baby back ribs
1 pinch black pepper
1 pinch salt
1 pinch crushed red pepper
4 cups barbecue sauce I used Sweet Baby Ray's, I used about 3.5 lbs of ribs, so I reduced the sauce to 2.5 cups
2 (12 ounce) bottles porter I reduced beer to 1-1.5 bottles, and just drank the rest!
beer, room temperature

DIRECTIONS:
1. Cut ribs into small portions of 2 or 3 bones each. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season water a pinch each of salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper to the water. Boil ribs in seasoned water for 20 minutes. Drain, and let the ribs sit for about a half an hour.

2. Meanwhile, preheat an outdoor grill for high heat. I put meat on the grill after being in the slow cooker, I let the meat cool slightly from boiling, rubbed some garlic powder, salt & pepper, red pepper flakes on meat, and added the bbq sauce, meat & beer to the slow cooker.

3. Lightly coat the ribs with barbecue sauce. Cook the ribs over high heat for a 5 to 10 minutes on each side to get a nice grilled look to them. See above

4. Place grilled ribs in a slow cooker. Pour remaining barbecue sauce and one bottle of beer over the ribs; this should cover at least half of the ribs. Cover, and cook on High for 3 hours. Check ribs every hour or so, and add more beer if needed to dilute sauce. Stir to get the ribs on top into the sauce. The ribs are done when the meat is falling off the bone. The ribs were cooked completely in the first process, the rest is about flavor and texture.

I put meat on the grill for about 10 minutes to get the grill marks & flavor, and coated ribs with a little extra bbq sauce.

2 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Yum.... I love me some ribs and these look great!

Janeen Jordan said...

These look wonderful. I came across your blog doing a search for ribs and also noticed you are here in the boro too!! Looking forward to the yummy recipes!