Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Sub-Lime Chicken & Pasta

This is the second time I made this recipe, and I think I liked it even better this time around! I got it after browsing Amber's Delectable Delights; her recipe is a spin on the Spicy Lime Garlic Chicken from Allrecipes. I made some changes as noted in italics, because Jamie likes a little more sauce, and I like more of a limey (is that a word???) taste. Plus it's a good way to get Jamie to eat his broccoli!




Spicy Garlic Lime Pasta
(Source: Amber's Delectable Delights)

Ingredients:
1 cup chicken broth I used 1.5 cups to make more sauce
1.5 tbsp lime juice (adjusting amount to your liking) I used approx. 2.5 tbsp
1 tbsp corn starch I used 1.5 tbsp, and I mixed it with a little bit of chicken broth and added to the sauce in the pan when at a high temp
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper I used 1/4-1/2 tsp, I like it spicy!
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp garlic powder1/4 tsp onion powder1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried parsley I used 1/2 tsp
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
1 tbsp butter
Few drizzles of olive oil
8 oz pasta (I used whole wheat rotini)
1-2 cups broccoli florets i used 2 cups
Optional - Parmesan cheese for topping I used some Parmigiano-Reggiano

Directions:
1) Bring pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions. During the last 5 minutes of pasta cook time add the broccoli into the boiling water. Drain.

2) Mix together all the sauce ingredients (chicken broth through parsley) and set aside.

3) Meanwhile, heat butter and olive oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add bite size chicken pieces into heated pan. Cook chicken until no longer pink. Pour the sauce ingredients into the pan with the chicken and bring to a simmer. Let simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce has thickened.

4) Toss cooked broccoli and pasta with the chicken and sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired and serve.

3 comments:

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I've heard raves of the Spicy Garlic Lime Chicken from Allrecipes - so glad this variation came out great!

Dawn Ouellette said...

Imagine my surprise, while looking for Chicken recipes! This is a wonderful site Melissa - well done!
Jamie must be in food heaven :)
Dawn,
(your Mother-in-law)

Anonymous said...

YUMMY! I Loooooove lime and I love spice. Have to try this one soon! It looks so great!